“Hello, is that the police? I’d like to report a robbery” A crowd of 61 saw Henley score 2 goals in the last 2 minutes, to steal 3 points from a game where a draw would surely have been a fairer result.

With Tejano and Ablitt unavailable, Henley had to make some changes, but could welcome back Bruce to the starting line-up, who missed last week’s big win at Haughley.

Both sides clearly struggled with the lumpy pitch, which had obviously suffered during the week’s downpours, but despite an energetic start from Wickham, it was Henley who had the better of the first half. Bruce, Bull, Van Oene and Field all coming close, but Wickham keeper Bolsover was quick off his line to nullify any opportunities. He couldn’t do anything about the opener though, when on 20 minutes, Bruce picked his spot with a precise freekick from the edge of the area to make it 0-1. Henley applied pressure throughout the remainder of the half, reducing Dixon in the away goal to little more than a spectator, but some profligate finishing meant they were unable to extend their lead and the score remained 0-1 at HT

Wickham came out after the break looking much better, the game instantly becoming more even. After 60 minutes home keeper Bolsover pulled off a breath-taking save to tip over a deflected effort from Field. Only 3 minutes later Wickham Mkt equalised, Dixon felled by a heavy, but adjudged to be fair challenge in the air, and Kerridge finishing from close range for 1-1. To further compound Henley’s misery, Hammond was sinbinned for his protests and Henley were reduced to ten men for the next 10 minutes. Wickham pressed their man advantage hard, piling forward, with Henley defending deeply and reduced to trying to break, but when they did, they once again found Bolsover in top form as he pulled off another top drawer save to deny Bruce.

With only 7 minutes left, Wickham’s commitment and industry saw them take a late lead, a goalmouth scramble saw Robinson smash home a fine finish from a narrow angle to make it 2-1. With only 5 minutes left, Bolsover went down injured, presumably as a result of a heavy 50-50 challenge with Cowan earlier in the half and had to be replaced by an outfield player in the Wickham goal. Despite their setbacks, Henley never gave up and in the 89th minute were rewarded when Bruce forced home the equaliser, looping over the keeper for 2-2. Almost immediately Henley pushed forward again and Bruce was brought down in the six-yard box, the referee pointed at the spot and Bruce stepped up to rifle home the 90th minute penalty for his hat-trick and an unlikely 2-3 Henley win.

Henley were far from their best, but still found the determination to pull the victory out of nowhere, if their finishing had been at it’s usual level, they may have had a better lead at half-time. But as it was, it was team work, grit and sheer will that saw the points go Henley’s way. Despite the Ultra’s MOTM, quite rightly, going to hat-trick hero Bruce, who as well as scoring 3, worked his socks off all game, Henley’s attitude was best expressed by the grit, effort and skill of Cowan, who I don’t recall losing a contest throughout the 90.

Wickham will, quite rightly, feel aggrieved not to come away from this game with at least a point, they certainly deserved it. Manager Damo has put together a strong team, who mirror their manager in commitment, play hard for each other and try to play the game the right way, they’ll be a top Senior side to watch over the next few seasons.