A shock and awe opening from Henley, who went off like a rocket, blew Westerfield away and saw the game pretty much won in the first half. A sparkling display, with plenty of fireworks and a couple of bangers, warmed the bones of the attending 83 on the first “big coat” day of the season.

Henley opened the scoring after only 27 seconds, so quickly that it caught out the team erecting the veocam and they missed it. Westerfield kicked off, Henley winning the ball back immediately, Storey, Van Oene, Tejano, Watling and Bruce exchanging a series of swift passes and Field finishing for 1-0. Bruce saw his effort blocked on the line after 11 minutes but Henley didn’t have long to wait as a couple of minutes later Field stooped to head home Ablitt’s cross for 2-0. Henley were rampant now and after 25 minutes Westerfield were robbed at the back, Ablitt finding Van Oene who picked his spot for 3-0. The onslaught continued and after 38 minutes it was 4-0, Field drilling over a low cross, bisecting keeper and defence, Watling racing in at the back post to finish.

Westerfield recovered a bit after the break, looking stronger across the park, but Henley continued to dominate. The visitor’s keeper Burn, saving free kicks from Bruce and Van Oene, before brilliantly blocking a rocket of an effort from Hammond. Burn’s heroics continued, saving from Watling and Hammond in quick succession, but he could do nothing to stop Field poking home the rebound for 5-0 and his hat-trick. Westerfield were gifted a consolation in the 85th minute, a misplaced pass seeing them clean through with a single pass, Double finishing neatly to make it 5-1. There was still time for another from Henley though, Watling adding the lightest of touches to Bruce’s goalbound strike to claim his 2nd of the day and make it 6-1 at FT

The whole Henley side were outstanding today, some terrific passing, with every player wanting the ball. Great to see our Fieldy knocking them in, as well as being involved with pretty much every attack, earning him the Ultra’s MOTM. Burn for the visitors, rolled back the years between the sticks and was easily the visitor’s MOTM. As for Westerfield, despite looking shellshocked in the first half, they were much improved in the second, especially when their youngsters came off the bench, giving them a much-needed threat going forward. But, today, there was simply no stopping Henley.