The few neutrals in the crowd of 82 were treated to a thrilling, goal bonanza, for the faithful however, it was a tad more stressful! As Henley showed guts, commitment and huge desire to come back from 1-4 down at HT to win 6-5 in time added on. With talismanic top scorer Bruce unavailable, Henley were forced into changes, but were happy to see starts for both Dixon and Van Oene on their return from injury.

Henley started brightly pressing Sporting back, Hammond and Watling both having early shots saved, however it was the visitors who took the lead after 7 minutes, the ball needlessly given away on the edge of the box for Chaplin to drive in a low shot for 0-1. Henley came close minutes later, Ablitt hitting the foot of the post, but didn’t have to wait long, as on 15 minutes, Sporting failed to pick up Van Oene, left unmarked he slotted home under the keeper for 1-1.

Henley’s joy was short-lived as immediately Sporting retook the lead, albeit with an element of fortune about this one, what appeared to be a cross from the impressive Bennett, looping over Dixon to go in of the inside of the back post for 1-2. Two minutes later it was 1-3, a superbly struck 30 yard rocket from Chaplin, not giving Dixon time to react as it found the bottom corner. Things went from bad to worse after 33 minutes, Sporting cleared after a period of Henley pressure, as the home defence clustered around the tricky Bennett on the wing, he picked out the unmarked Taylor-Footer who calmly picked his spot for 1-4. Things could’ve been even worse, a quick break from Bennett saw his shot go narrowly wide, when perhaps squaring it to a team mate may have been a better option. So at HT the league leaders found themselves 1-4 down, despite which, the faith that we could still get something out of the game was strong amongst the Ultras.

Henley roared out of the traps after the break, pulling a goal back in the 49th minute, a through ball from Van Oene, flicked over the keeper by Tejano for 2-4. On 52 minutes it was 3-4, great work from Bull down the right, firing in a low cross, forced home at the back post by Shore for his first ever Henley goal. Henley were rampant now and drew level 8 minutes later, a break down the right from Tejano, his cross was well met by Ablitt, his shot came back off the bar to Watling, who simply rifled the ball into the roof of the net from 10 yards for 4-4.

Sporting were still dangerous every time they went forward and came close yet again, a deflected shot ballooning into the air and hitting the foot of the post. On 77 minutes Sporting regained the lead, an unfortunate Storey sliding in to turn a cross into his own net for 4-5. Controversy followed 2 minutes later, Shore rounding the keeper, only to be pulled down, but Henley’s penalty appeals were waved away, as we discovered post match, much to the surprise of the visiting management, the video will be interesting to view. However justice prevailed and on 84 minutes Tejano equalised with a fantastic finish after good work from Shore for 5-5. Yet again another penalty was denied, what looked a clear hand ball blocking Ablitt’s strike.

But this Henley side are full of character and in the 94thminute when Ablitt was clattered on the right-hand edge of the box, up stepped Van Oene to curl home a peach of a freekick to make it 6-5 and spark mass celebrations on the touchline as Henley pulled off an unlikely victory.

Wow, what a game, Sporting were excellent and will feel aggrieved to have scored 5 away from home and not to pick up the points. Well coached and superbly organised, they caused Henley so many problems throughout the game, young Bennett probably their stand out performer on the day, what a prospect. But, despite a crazy 30 minutes in the first half, this Henley side knows how to pull out a win, battling for every ball, running their hearts out and showing real quality when in possession. Every squad member involved, gave their all, but the Ultra’s vote for MOTM, was once again, a unanimous one, for Tejano, simply the heart and soul of the club.