The travelling Henley faithful, who braved the inclement weather were pleased to see Referee Goodman pass the Thurston pitch as playable, but probably even more pleased to discover they could watch the game from under the cover of the clubhouse verandah!

In truth, despite the effort, commitment and industry of the home side, Henley were in charge for the whole game. After the disappointment of last week’s performance, the management rang the changes, both in personnel and formation and were successful on both counts.

Henley took a 0-1 lead in the 13th minute, Gavin Van Oene cutting in from the right and driving in a low shot, a deflection deceiving the home keeper. Further opportunities followed before Cowan added a 2nd after a lovely interchange between Bruce and Thrower, released him to slide home. Yet another slick passing move saw Cowan extend the lead to 0-3 on 30 minutes. Liam Ablitt and Bruce combined to find Thrower on 45 minutes, his shot was well saved but White was on hand to prod home to make it 0-4 at HT.

The scoreline gave Henley the luxury of being able to make 3 subs at the break and a further 2 shortly afterwards, as they continued to dominate. Although the rain had stopped, the pitch was heavy and the ball wasn’t running well now. Even so Henley extended their lead to 0-5 after 50 minutes, Shore and Cowan linking up, the latter firing in a low cross, which was turned into his own net, under heavy pressure from Bull. With 15 minutes remaining Henley wrapped up the scoring, Shore’s deep cross to the back post, volleyed home by George Ablitt for 0-6.

With some youngsters coming on, Thurston looked dangerous on the break, but the Henley defence nullified their threat, with Lynch only called upon a couple of times to keep a clean sheet.

A much improved showing from Henley in every position, looking much more like themselves, with neat, passing football throughout, epitomised by an imperious MOTM performance by Thrower.

Thurston deserve a lot of credit, they battled for every ball, in every minute and kept playing, good, passing football throughout, they have a crop of fine young players there, that experienced manager Macca, will doubtless get the best out of. An excellent club off the pitch as well, a terrific welcome, friendly and funny sideline banter and half-time donuts to boot! All at Henley wish them well for the rest of their season. Praise to for referee Euan Goodman, who had an excellent game and seemed to thoroughly enjoy himself too.