Yet again Henley found themselves in the unenviable position of being drawn away to the top ranked side in the competition, and despite delivering a display to make their supporters proud, a late goal gave the Thurlow Nunn promotion chasers a deserved victory and saw them progress to the semi-finals. With Field, Tejano and Shore all missing, it was always going to be a hard battle, but it was one that all at the club were up for, a large travelling contingent from the village making up a significant proportion of the official attendance of 92.

Henley started brightly, looking to get forward early on. But it was Framlingham who drew first blood, a sweetly struck 25 yarder from Lucraft giving them a 1-0 lead after only 6 minutes. However Henley heads didn’t drop and they pressed forward drawing level after 12 minutes. A quick break forward saw Bull’s shot saved, the ball was recycled and again Bull’s strike was blocked, but he was alert to the rebound and played it across goal for the onrushing Cowan to slot home from a yard out for 1-1.

On 23 minutes the referee awarded Henley a penalty after White was felled, but a precluding offside flag saw him reverse his decision. The remainder of the half was a very equal contest, both sides playing some nice football, but neither really troubling the keepers and at HT the score remained 1-1.

Framlingham came out looking very dangerous in the 2nd period, their young forward line posing a constant threat. On 65 minutes Dixon needed to make fantastic save, with captain Storey, throwing his body in the block the two subsequent follow up efforts. There was a massive let off for Henley after 69 minutes, a slightly scuffed shot from a Framlingham striker, hitting the foot of the right hand post, rolling along the line and hitting the other post, before it was gratefully gathered by Dixon. The onslaught continued and on 75 minutes a looping cross cum shot bouncing back of the Henley bar to safety, two minutes later Dixon was again the hero, diving to his right to tip round a shot from the edge of the box.

Only two minutes later Henley had their best chance of the half, Ablitt’s curling effort coming agonisingly close as it hit the post and rolled to safety. But alas, it was not to be and in the 84thminute a fine ball released Willet who stroked the ball into the corner to give Framlingham the 2-1 victory that their 2nd half-performance deserved.

Framlingham were worthy winners on the day, they simply created more and better, chances. All at Henley thank them for their excellent hospitality, their generosity and their kind words about our club, we wish them luck in their semi-final and in their quest for promotion.