Despite determined opposition, Henley romped to a 1-7 away win at Trimley Red Devils in front of a crowd of 54, somewhat reduced by the unfortunate circumstances on the Orwell Bridge. Indeed, I didn’t arrive myself until the 40th minute myself and am indebted to my nephew Owen, who kept a record of early events. It was an unusual looking Henley side, with a few usual starters rested or missing in readiness for the run in.

Henley took an early lead when Hammond spotted the TRD keeper off his line and hit an effort from just inside his own half to make it 0-1, a terrific strike which was Henley’s 100th league goal of the season. Field came close twice, before Bruce shot over and Field’s header brushed the post on 35 minutes. Watling added a 2nd for Henley after 40 minutes, with Trimley appealing for a foul on a defender. There was still time for one more before the break, Bruce’s free kick too hot for the home keeper to handle on 45 minutes as he made it 0-3 at HT.

TRD, seemed determined to find a path back in the 2nd half, but Henley still dominated the game for long periods, however the Henley defence still had to be alert to repeated TRD attacks. Any hope of a TRD comeback was extinguished with 3 Henley goals in a 5 minute period. After 75 minutes Van Oene whipped in a corner which Watling got to just ahead of the home keeper, heading home for 0-4. Three minutes later Watling completed his hat trick, Bull playing him in, to fire in a low shot from 20 yards for 0-5. On 80 minutes, it was Field’s turn, heading home a Bruce corner from close range for 0-6, but Henley weren’t finished, White breaking through the offside trap and firing across the keeper into the corner for 0-7 after 87 minutes.

TRD scored a 90th minute consolation, substitute Murphy hitting the target to make it 1-7 after Dixon had made a magnificent save from Poole.

Lots of praise for the whole team, but it was hat trick hero Watling that claimed MOTM, credit to for TRD, who, despite the scoreline, kept going right until the end. The post match celebrations were enhanced by the news from the Community Centre, that our Ressies had been crowned Division 5 Champions after a  5-1 win over Wenhaston.